Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
10mm microbore plumbing

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 
 Message
jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26625
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 5:12 pm    Post subject: 10mm microbore plumbing  Reply with quote    

Following the debacle in the last few days with my heating system, I have come to the conclusion that I have been copping out on the plumbing diy and aught to get off my arse and do all the bits that need doing myself

This includes putting thermostatic valves on the radiators. One thing does concern be a little, the heating system is on the 10mm microbore pipe system.

So obviously when put in a new heated towel rail I will need adapters, but is there anything else to be aware of with microbore? Have done a fair bit with 15mm and 22mm, but have never touched 10mm. I do see from the way it is sold that it is pretty flexible stuff.

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 41929
Location: North Devon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

You're waiting for mrutty here really, aren't you.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44173
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Well let's put it this way I know more about nuclear physics and their application in spaceship propulsion than I do about 10mm microbore plumbing

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26625
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sean wrote:
You're waiting for mrutty here really, aren't you.


I'll make a bet!

jema

Nick



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 33882
Location: Hereford
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 04 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Best gas and hetating tip ever?

Sign up for British Gas' care package. I believe it's open to everyone, not just existing customers, and it's pretty cheap, I think about 25 quid a month. For that, they'll look after your entire system, whether it's fitted by them or not. They came through our house, and fitted the thermostats to all radiators, bled the system, and fixed two leaking rads. I've had to call them out a couple of times and they've turned up 24/7 within hours. All parts are covered. We have about 20 rads, and miles of ancient pipe. Non problem. All covered.

Seriously, as giant firms go, they're great. I'd reccomend them to anyone. As for supplying gas....don't even get me started, but apparently, that's a different business unit.


Nick

Guest






PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

piece of cake mate. you can get 15-10mm reducers at any good diy store. any combination of size to size can be done. the only ting to be careful of with 10mm, is do not over tighten the compression nut onto olive. they crush very easy. un less you are using polyplumb plastic pipe and then pegler do a terrier 2 trv with pushfit pack in the box....if i knew last month you needed some i could have done you a deal on as many as you like..but i have since told my employer to shove his job...

lazzasurf



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Posts: 30
Location: wolverhampton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

sorry forgot to log in.......^^^^^^^^ thats me above..

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26625
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Anonymous wrote:
piece of cake mate. you can get 15-10mm reducers at any good diy store. any combination of size to size can be done. the only ting to be careful of with 10mm, is do not over tighten the compression nut onto olive. they crush very easy. un less you are using polyplumb plastic pipe and then pegler do a terrier 2 trv with pushfit pack in the box....if i knew last month you needed some i could have done you a deal on as many as you like..but i have since told my employer to shove his job...


Will bear in mind, though it does look like I was wrong about it being 10m, it is 8mm I think

jema

lazzasurf



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Posts: 30
Location: wolverhampton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

are you measuring the internal dimension of the pipe or external?
you should be measuring the external edge to edge. 8mm is pretty uncommon in central heating..
and what do you mean by calling ur self a forum dog?

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26625
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

lazzasurf wrote:
are you measuring the internal dimension of the pipe or external?
you should be measuring the external edge to edge. 8mm is pretty uncommon in central heating..
and what do you mean by calling ur self a forum dog?


8mm external is what my calipers make it have not got to the moment of truth yet to find out for sure.

Forum Dog

lazzasurf



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Posts: 30
Location: wolverhampton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

i have just had a forage through my spares box and can find no 8mm fittings.
plenty of 10mmto15mm. and then strait into the valve with a 15mm street elbow.

im on msn as crazymofu till about 10pm tonite if i can help in any way tonite use that if u like. its quicker than leaving messages on here and saves on forum bandwidth..

jema
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 26625
Location: escaped from Swindon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

lazzasurf wrote:
i have just had a forage through my spares box and can find no 8mm fittings.
plenty of 10mmto15mm. and then strait into the valve with a 15mm street elbow.

im on msn as crazymofu till about 10pm tonite if i can help in any way tonite use that if u like. its quicker than leaving messages on here and saves on forum bandwidth..


thanks for the offer, I have a plumb center near by, my plan is to drain the central heating and then see what fits. I know you can get 8mm bits, but as you say 10mm is more the standard. I almost made the mistake of assuming mine had to be 10mm.

jema

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 05 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

If you have problems tracking down stuff BES sell various 8mm fittings. Some go down to 6mm and they even sell tube as small as 4mm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com