Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Chayote Vine

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Author 
 Message
Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 8059
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 19 12:23 pm    Post subject: Chayote Vine  Reply with quote    

Has anyone tried growing chayote in the UK? I really love the squashes, in fact they are more versatile than courgettes. Just worried they might not actually fruit here.

Slim



Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 5370
Location: New England (In the US of A)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 19 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Looks like it could be doable if these search results are to be trusted

I've only ever seen chocho in Belize

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/chayote/growing-chayote-squash.htm

https://www.gardenia.net/guide/hardiness-zones-in-the-united-kingdom

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 8059
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 19 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

They're common in Portugal. I have brought back 2 of the fruits but I'm wondering if it's better to eat them or try grow them. I hate wasting. What concerns me is the 150 days to crop.... that's a lot of good weather to expect in Wales.

NorthernMonkeyGirl



Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 4357
Location: Peeping over your shoulder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 19 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Yep, I can get them going no problem, but haven't stayed in one location long enough to see them at maybe-fruiting size. Thy are slow to get going outdoors in Yorkshire!

My tchnique involves buying a chayote, forgetting it on a shelf for weeks, noticing a sprout from the wrinkly end, planting the whole thing, forgetting about it again...

NorthernMonkeyGirl



Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 4357
Location: Peeping over your shoulder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 19 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Fruits readily available in Asian grocers and some urban supermarket branches - check tesco and morrisons

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 35425
Location: yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

new to me, beasty things, love the make a mound school of curcurbit growing.

at a guess greenhouse or plastic would give enough time for fruiting so long as it is big enough

most curcurbits do well in the uk even if some like a home to snuggle in.

Jam Lady



Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 2095
Location: New Jersey, USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

An old way to supply extra warmth - get an old inner tube. Lay on ground where you intend to plant melon or chayote or whatever. Make a small hole and mostly fill inner tube with water. Patch. Sun warms black inner tube. Warmth gradually released when weather cools at night. Happy plant.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 10822

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I don't think even in the south of England we often get temperatures of 80 deg F. Otherwise, looks as if the zones for growing should be just about all right. Sounds as if your idea of leaving it on a shelf until it starts to sprout might be the best way to get it going NMG, and the spare tyre method in a polytunnel or greenhouse may keep it going Jam Lady.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 8059
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

NorthernMonkeyGirl wrote:
Yep, I can get them going no problem, but haven't stayed in one location long enough to see them at maybe-fruiting size. Thy are slow to get going outdoors in Yorkshire!

My tchnique involves buying a chayote, forgetting it on a shelf for weeks, noticing a sprout from the wrinkly end, planting the whole thing, forgetting about it again...

Ate 1 of the 2 last night. Will do that with the last remaining one. Thanks.

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 8059
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

dpack wrote:
new to me, beasty things, love the make a mound school of curcurbit growing.

at a guess greenhouse or plastic would give enough time for fruiting so long as it is big enough

most curcurbits do well in the uk even if some like a home to snuggle in.

I'm not sure I want to get it in the greenhouse - I'm still mentally scarred from the Acocha that took over the entire greenhouse!

Shan



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 8059
Location: South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Jam Lady wrote:
An old way to supply extra warmth - get an old inner tube. Lay on ground where you intend to plant melon or chayote or whatever. Make a small hole and mostly fill inner tube with water. Patch. Sun warms black inner tube. Warmth gradually released when weather cools at night. Happy plant.


Good tip. I will need to remember this one!

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 35425
Location: yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 19 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Shan wrote:
dpack wrote:
new to me, beasty things, love the make a mound school of curcurbit growing.

at a guess greenhouse or plastic would give enough time for fruiting so long as it is big enough

most curcurbits do well in the uk even if some like a home to snuggle in.

I'm not sure I want to get it in the greenhouse - I'm still mentally scarred from the Acocha that took over the entire greenhouse!




re doing ok i suspect day length in the summer and a nice nest is even better than 12hrs and a bit warmer outside further south

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com