Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How to stop B&B guests smoking in the rooms?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 12:43 pm    Post subject: How to stop B&B guests smoking in the rooms? Reply with quote

I have a few signs around saying it's non-smoking but still some guests smoke in their rooms anyway. Since I don't smoke anymore I can tell a mile off that they have been smoking. Apart from plastering the house with more signs (which I'd rather avoid) is there any way of getting them to stop. Obviously a smoke detector linked into some kind of death ray is not viable.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a profesional fire alarm system fitted (guest will take the batts out of cheap ones). They will get the message when all the residents have to get up at 1am cos they had a crafty smoke. Poss even auto sprinkler system.

Justme

PS prefered the death ray idea........

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Have a profesional fire alarm system fitted (guest will take the batts out of cheap ones). They will get the message when all the residents have to get up at 1am cos they had a crafty smoke. Poss even auto sprinkler system.

Justme

The alarm sytem works quite well. Especially if it's one which also sets off an alarm on reception if anyone tries to disarm it (ask Gervase about that... )

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a public building, they shouldn't be smoking in there anyway.

Unless you can catch them though, I don't think you can do much.

I have knocked on a bedroom door before and shamed them, by telling them to stop smoking, and I can see their hand out of the bedroom window, with the cigarette in.

I have also had a butt thrown on me, accidently, when I walked under a window.

cinders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alison"]It is a public building, they shouldn't be smoking in there anyway.[quote]

I believe you still can smoke in your hotel room,unless you have a no smoking policy.Its considered you are at home.When we stayed in london after the smoking ban we were given a smoking room.To my surprise

Could you put it into your hotel policy anyone found smoking would have a charge added to they bill,to cover cost of cleaning bill etc?

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eco"][quote="alison"]It is a public building, they shouldn't be smoking in there anyway.
Quote:

I believe you still can smoke in your hotel room,unless you have a no smoking policy.Its considered you are at home.When we stayed in london after the smoking ban we were given a smoking room.To my surprise

Could you put it into your hotel policy anyone found smoking would have a charge added to they bill,to cover cost of cleaning bill etc?

By the time I've discovered they've been smoking they've often left! If they're going to ignore the smoking ban then they're certain to be the bolshie/couldn't care less variety.

cinders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess thats where big hotels luck out they take credit card only and bill you for extras later,ie drinks at the bar,drink from rooms mini bar,films you watch on pay per view.

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justme wrote:
Poss even auto sprinkler system.

Justme

Probably end up costing you more in damages though.

Justme wrote:

Me too Then the signs saying "Smoking Kills" would have even more significance

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if its in the fire regs or just advice that small B&B's should have mains operated smoke alarms that are all linked so that if one goes off, they all sound.

maybe worth checking, bet it would make them sit up and take notice, either that or make them slope off to the bathroom for a sly smoke !

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 07 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even cheap'ordinary' smoke alarms might be enough to help deter them, put a tamper strip on the opening part to help stop them taking out the battery

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco wrote:

I was surprsied also to be asked if I wanted a smoking room in Bristol the other week

One of the ways to ry and combat smokers is to advertise that it is a non-smoking B&B on all of your marketing literature

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you make one small part of the garden into a good place to go for a smoke and suggest that though you prefer no smoking at all, if they must thats the place to do it?

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're part of a smoking pair, slit one of their throats and make the other one look at the tar lining the way and ask if they want to suffer the same fate.

Smoking indoors is illegal as you're gonig to be classed as a workplace. It's also f£"$ing ignorant and shows off the self-centered, mindless rabbidity of some of these 'poor addicts'.

Make sure you have notices at reception and around the place saying that you will fine people for smoking. Take a copy of their credit card when they check in, then, when you catch them, tell them that they are being fined and take the money. You never know, after ten or twenty warnings at £100 each they might get the message.

lottie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice I'd rather entertain the smoker in my house than the intemperate----of course in an ideal world I'd prefer the temperate non smoker

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 07 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Take a copy of their credit card when they check in, then, when you catch them, tell them that they are being fined and take the money. You never know, after ten or twenty warnings at £100 each they might get the message.

In many places I have stayed recently, there are large notices all over saying that the place is none smoking and if you do smoke in your room then a charge will be made against your card to pay for cleaning the room. This varies from £50-£150. This seems to me better than a fine, as you are reflecting the cost you incur rather than getting on a soap box.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive