links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Are these sulphur tufts?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 11 10:27 pm    Post subject: Are these sulphur tufts? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I put these in another thread but someone suggested I gave them their own. I saw these growing on a dead tree this week in the woods.

Pretty sure they're sulphur tufts (younger specimens had the cob-web-like veil) but can anyone confirm?

Andy

PS If they are, I know they're poisonous - I'm not planning on eating them - fear not!

bubble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 11 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are coprinus quite poss. micaceous,definately coprinus.Sulphur tufts are quite diff. mushroom on the flesh,and quite common,threre are some around now.

nerion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly look similar. If they are Coprinus Micaceus, are they edible?

nerion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Not so sure now. It says here: https://www.foragingguide.com/mushrooms/Glistening_Inkcap.html that the gills are white, turning black with age. The gills on the ones I saw were definitely brown.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glisty inkcap was my thought

not on my to eat list

bubble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 11 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerion wrote:
PS. Not so sure now. It says here: https://www.foragingguide.com/mushrooms/Glistening_Inkcap.html that the gills are white, turning black with age. The gills on the ones I saw were definitely brown.
This type of confusion in you post is very typical of what we are trying to tell you .Right if you look at lots of glistening ink caps and tons of sulphur tufts[like us who are in the know] you would'nt be trying to split hairs about gill colour.Gill colour of the ink cups is whitish to begin then brown and very dark brown at the deliquescing stage.Sulphur tufts are sulphur yellow olivaceous green,finally dark brown.You will often get confused just like this if you look at one in the flesh and one out of a book!!!!!All mushrooms are edible its just that some you can only eat once!!!Join a local group and then begin to eat wild mushrooms.Look at mushrooms and wild plants at diff.stages in their growth.

nerion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 11 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
nerion wrote:
This type of confusion in you post is very typical of what we are trying to tell you .Right if you look at lots of glistening ink caps and tons of sulphur tufts[like us who are in the know] you would'nt be trying to split hairs about gill colour.Gill colour of the ink cups is whitish to begin then brown and very dark brown at the deliquescing stage.Sulphur tufts are sulphur yellow olivaceous green,finally dark brown.You will often get confused just like this if you look at one in the flesh and one out of a book!!!!!All mushrooms are edible its just that some you can only eat once!!!Join a local group and then begin to eat wild mushrooms.Look at mushrooms and wild plants at diff.stages in their growth.

Please remember I am new to this - I guess maybe you didn't know the difference between sulphur tufts and ink caps on your first few forays?

All I'm trying to do is educate myself. I won't eat anything foraged - whether plants or fungi - unless I'm 100% sure of what it is. But yes, I have fallen in love with foraging and I want to become a good forager - not a dead one or one of those hooked up to a dialysis machine.

FYI, I have now ordered John Wright's mushrooms and hedgerow books and have spoken to a local member of the British Mycological Society with a view to going foraging with him.

bubble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant,18 yrs ago ,when i was starting,i mistook Clitocybe nebularis[clouded agaric]for Lepista nuda[wood blewits]

AnnaD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One book well worth getting is Mushrooms by Roger Phillips. It's the best book I've found and has great photos of all the mushrooms.

hedgehogpie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all occasionally make, and have made, mistakes. You're doing exactly the right things.

Welcome to the wonderful, slightly obsessively geeky world of foraging.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
brilliant,18 yrs ago ,when i was starting,i mistook Clitocybe nebularis[clouded agaric]for Lepista nuda[wood blewits]

not a huge portion i assume

cramp balls for baby puffballs 1981

hedgehogpie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I rest my case. ^^

bubble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
bubble wrote:

not a huge portion i assume

cramp balls for baby puffballs 1981
I was trying to pass them on to other club members but the foray leader picked it out straight away.That same leader mistakenly gave away yellow stainers as field mushrooms the next season, and a few stomach cramps with them!!!! ps when we have foray fry-ups they are always checked by two experts!!!!

nerion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta folks! Hedgerow book arrived today. Hopefully mushrooms will follow soon.

Andy

PS I'm going out looking for St George's mushrooms on Friday. Any tips? The white gills do make me wary, I must admit.

bubble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 11 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no mushroom growing in rings ,smell and taste mealy ,in spring, not from a volva ,size,could be confused with a toxic species.[Clitocybe rivulosa/dealbata grows sometimes with Fairy ring champignions ,but they are small in comparison.Post photos of several ,plus sections through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive