Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wildlife
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 188, 189, 190  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this game is fun

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant!

Henry

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

light up the airspace, lead the target, release a discrete burst or ....i still need to learn how to make this thing lock on so there is no escape

the eos 3 only needed me to look at it and that was the point of interest but it would not have been fast enough for this and film is out for a variety of reasons

this stuff is shot in semi manual boresight mode
im still "jammin" this at the mo but i am trying to work it out

the camera side of it is a steep learning curve at the mo

dog, person, "landscape", "still life" "mood" or pretty plant is easy, mobile critters are a challenge in many ways

most tricky thing i have ever tried to snap

it is not just getting the tech stuff sorted, one needs to understand the critter and what it will do as well as not upsetting the critter, which i can often manage although some can be nervous of a "horrid beardy bloke with one clicking eye"

birds in a bush is quite a challenge as it needs to be close and a bit intrusive

Last edited by dpack on Wed Jun 03, 20 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 20 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps that is mrs and mr brack

ms little bracket is easy on the floor but i have not worked out when for in flight snaps

pps grey has a sibling, maybe two, neither of which are as strikingly grey but both are more grey than most.
mum and dad are at the grey end of normal shadings
i wonder if bro mendal would be able and interested in that sort of thing?

the variations are noticeable when one gets to know them.

ppps eye makeup for boys does seem a solid idea.
i need to find something like that for girls

feet are very individual as well

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cropped but not much tweaked

fun for a pap snap with the wrong lens

the blossom is out so i will be doing assorted bee snaps

there are more white tails than a wee while ago but it is not bee city like last year so far
second try it went in the right thread

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictures. I haven't heard of any but owls producing pellets, but it will be interesting if you can sort out what is in it. Perhaps other birds don't always produce them in the same place, as owls are inclined to, so it has been missed. Small area, intensive viewing can throw up some interesting wildlife observations.

Didn't see so much of the great tits yesterday, but just as we were wondering if the youngsters had fledged, one of the parents turned up and left with a pellet, so assume they are still there, perhaps preparing to fly.

Did a flora survey and found a common spotted orchid in the cleared area under the pylon line, plus a few things I didn't know were in certain areas. We don't get many common spotted as they prefer plenty of light; more often ours are early purples. Hope we get some more next year.

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
light up the airspace, lead the target, release a discrete burst or ....i still need to learn how to make this thing lock on so there is no escape

Two things you can do:
1) Use manual focus - can work well, but only if all shots are at a predetermined distance. Might be okay if you have a very tight flight corridor, but otherwise not so good
2) Use AI Servo mode. The camera will look for moving objects and focus on them. You can define the focus points to narrow the area that the camera monitors for movement. I quite like to use AI Focus mode for general nature/sports shooting, as that automatically switches between static (one-shot AF) and dynamic (AI Servo) focus modes

Apologies to any Nikon users - above terminology is for Canons

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know badgers could climb trees! The missus was out for a walk in the orchard last night, she caught a badger up a cherry tree by surprise. It fell and legged it.

Another huge hole in the cherry net we'll have to repair

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow badger in a tree, i never heard that before , as an "avian" infestation in the cherry orchard it must have surprised her, i recon i would have been shocked unless i had read this

re snaps, i use manual focus for the flying ones and centre auto for ground/bush snaps

i have played with the AI servo mode enough to know it works for some stuff but also gets confused by things like leaves moving, maybe i can refine what it seeks, i will have a look in the book

birds in the sky tis ideal but unless planned for they would be gone by the time i had changed settings as i do not have much sky from ground level, from the loft conversion it would be ideal but even that is quite a small sky due to angles and buildings or only a velux on the side with more sky

i just timed a gull from one "horizon" to the other was under a second and that was across the "big sky" direction

the seven phone wires confuse the ai servo as well:roll:

the auto/man focus button gets almost as much use as the shoot button especially if the subject is in or behind a bush

spose tis good practice for snapping in a wooded canyon

buzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Good pictures. I haven't heard of any but owls producing pellets, ………………………..

From Wikipedia:

Hawk and owl pellets are grey or brown, and range in shape from spherical to oblong or plug-shaped. In large birds, they are one to two inches long, and in songbirds, about half an inch. Many other species produce pellets, including grebes, herons, cormorants, gulls, terns,
kingfishers, crows, jays, dippers, shrikes, swallows, and most shorebirds.

Henry

buzzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was attending a lecture on Badger diet some years ago and the lecturer quoted the number of cherry stones he had found in a Badger's stomach. I forget the number, but it was enormous. I had always assumed the Badgers were eating windfalls, but it seems not necessarily!

Henry

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 20 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had no idea till yesterday. We've always assumed the holes they make in the netting are just because it gets in their way.

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 20 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
We had no idea till yesterday. We've always assumed the holes they make in the netting are just because it gets in their way.

Looks like you're right - the netting is getting between the badgers and the cherries!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 20 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if they do it very often you need something akin to a very large squirrel guard round the tree. I didn't know they climbed either, although they are probably a little more agile than they look.

Interesting about the bird pellets Henry. I know they dispose of the droppings from the nestlings by taking them in their beaks and dropping them elsewhere. The droppings are enclosed in a mucus sack so they don't break up until dropped.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 20 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing i have on a jar lid under cling film was definitely regurgitated rather than spat out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 188, 189, 190  Next
Page 67 of 190
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive