Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Wheelchair accessible path
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management
Author 
 Message
dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 38161
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 20 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

fee pm me, i might have lead on a fairly decent amount (30 car carpark to a depth of maybe 300mm )of suitable, re-usable rubble in june if you are not too far from york.

roughly where are you? the issue is transport, it has to go somewhere but somewhere not too distant would be easier to swing:wink:

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 20 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

for wheelchair I think you could use bark/woodchip/rubble or tarmac plantings. Need to scrape off soil put a membrane down and then with woodchip you could either go100% woodchip or with a hardcore base (properly rolllered base). Wood chip will be more maintenance than planings or type 1 (or any other aggregate).

Fee



Joined: 21 Mar 2005
Posts: 15922
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 20 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

I'll be back later to chat, we're in Nantwich Dpack!

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 38161
Location: yes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 20 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

ok , nantwich area, that is a bit far for this one, it would be at least 2 lorry days to haul it 120 miles.

tt says

A there is a fair bit of this stuff pulled from local authority and other sites

B her chum might know of some much closer to you that needs a new home

enquiries will be made

Midlandsman



Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 20 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

tahir wrote:
for wheelchair I think you could use bark/woodchip/rubble or tarmac plantings. Need to scrape off soil put a membrane down and then with woodchip you could either go100% woodchip or with a hardcore base (properly rolllered base). Wood chip will be more maintenance than planings or type 1 (or any other aggregate).


Sorry Tahir, woodchip's awful for wheelchairs. It throws your casters any which way.

Mistress Rose



Joined: 21 Jul 2011
Posts: 12059

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

A smooth surface is better. DILs pet hate is shingle as when she walks she can't lift her feet either, so makes life very difficult for her. I think either the blocks, carefully levelled, or the mesh, both with grass growing through might be rather better.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Midlandsman wrote:
tahir wrote:
for wheelchair I think you could use bark/woodchip/rubble or tarmac plantings. Need to scrape off soil put a membrane down and then with woodchip you could either go100% woodchip or with a hardcore base (properly rolllered base). Wood chip will be more maintenance than planings or type 1 (or any other aggregate).


Sorry Tahir, woodchip's awful for wheelchairs. It throws your casters any which way.


I'm not speaking from experience, we used to use it between veg beds and over a period of time it packed down quite well so assumed it might work.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Having said that, if that's the case how much better would a planings/type 1 path be?

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4340
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Considering the path is only required for dry fine weather,a cheaper,smooth surface path could be made from 2nd hand replaced/recycled conveyor belting.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

What kind of base would that need?

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4340
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

tahir wrote:
What kind of base would that need?


Nothing,its heavy enough to hold down,just mow the grass down close to the ground and roll it out,there`s clip`s to be had to join lengths together.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Could be a goer, does it come n different granule sizes?

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 44607
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

This is what planings look like:


Click to see full size image

Ty Gwyn



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 4340
Location: Lampeter
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

No granules,it comes on a roll,here`s one in use,

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=photo+of+conveyor+belt+underground&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dphoto%2bof%2bconveyor%2bbelt%2bunderground%26form%3dWMSRPA%26ao%3d1%26qs%3dSW%26cvid%3dfdc7f7afad5e45ccb1e5f13949b3d2cd%26pq%3dphoto%2bof%2bconveyor%2bbelt%2bunderground%26cc%3dGB%26setlang%3den-GB%26wsso%3dModerate%26qfig%3df7c4ae8255f24a528fb742c863c9ee18&view=detail&mid=DD8C05204304B8571BF6DD8C05204304B8571BF6&&mmscn=vwrc&FORM=VDRVRV

derbyshiredowser



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 971
Location: derbyshire
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 20 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
    

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Considering the path is only required for dry fine weather,a cheaper,smooth surface path could be made from 2nd hand replaced/recycled conveyor belting.


In Suffolk its used on the pebble beaches as a smooth surface to slide boats up the beaches and also footpaths its a great surface.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com