links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mini balers

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 07 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mini balers Reply with quote

Whilst watching TV last night I saw an interesting piece of machinery that might be useful. It was a small baler that attached to a pedestrian tractor (one you walk behind). A bit of googling shows this site: https://www.rekord.com/f%20&%20s%20machinery%20pages/Balers/front_mounted_mini_baler.htm

Whilst looking for that link I noticed quite a few mini-balers for smaller tractors as well.

As I'd not seen these things before I thought it was worth mentioning.

Green Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 07 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard they are very unreliable and expensive to repair. A few years ago there was a trend for mini haylage bales. The trend has passed as the hassle was not worth it.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 07 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you could find a reliable small compactor/baler you could make a fortune selling tiny bales to pet shops !

bodran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love one of these ,if anyone has a second hand one in there shed let me know

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with mini round balers is that you have to stop for a minute or so to form a bale. When you're baling 4'x4' bales it is quite efficient, but when your bale is just inches across it takes ages just to bale a field, given our weather & labour costs that is just stupid. I looked at mini-bale haylage before & I just couldn't see the point in a small round baler 9you can probably tell), the much more efficient system seems to be using a conventional sized square baler for continuous operation with a mini wrapper...

bodran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt thinking of that type , i saw a photo of one, that did proper littlle bales,,i can imagine it does take ages.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard says they tried one at Writtle a few years ago and it was no end of grief. Things are prolly better now though.

VSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 07 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacksmith wrote:
I think if you could find a reliable small compactor/baler you could make a fortune selling tiny bales to pet shops !

You can do this anyway by buying standard small bales, repacking and then reselling. I know a chap who was buying hay at £2 / bale and selling it for about £50!

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 07 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSS wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:

You can do this anyway by buying standard small bales, repacking and then reselling. I know a chap who was buying hay at £2 / bale and selling it for about £50!

For a second there I couldn't believe that! Then I realised you were talking about small bales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive