Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Thank you, dpack!

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 3:46 pm    Post subject: Thank you, dpack! Reply with quote

I have just successfully performed rabbit dentistry. Bungo is now out the garden eating grass. However, I've booked him in for debollocking on Tuesday, so his cheerfulness has clearly defined parameters. I didn't fancy doing that myself.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done,it gets easier as you and they get used to it

glad to have been of help with advice

something to look out for is suitable "picks" i use one with a spear point at an angle one end and a round tip at the other for getting into crevices to remove tartar.i think i got mine from a art shop described as "wax modeling tools" but they are dental tools sold to a different market.
my basic tool for dog teeth has a smooth round end /saw toothed chisel end ,tis a surgeons"bone scraper",again from a hobby shop as an arty tool.the production over runs from the medical trade often end up in arty tool places as they are good for that stuff as well

tool stalls in markets are another place to look

the clothes peg with emery araldited on is a very adaptable tool for back teeth and "wedging open"

re bunny or g'pig teeth getting level side to side on the front ones by sorting the back ones to give an even bite can take a few sessions ,during the process dont worry if bun looks a bit lopsided at the front cos that shows which side needs a bit more trimming at the back ,high point back will be the same side as low point front

any "spare"heads are perfect for practicing on

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 14 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps im not up for gelding a bunny either

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 14 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
ps im not up for gelding a bunny either

Isn't it just a very tight elastic band for a week until the bits drop off?

Mutton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 14 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just" - um no. Regarding sheep there are welfare laws so you can't do it if they are older than a week. Don't know about bunny welfare.
Also you have to make sure you have both testicles fully descended and on the wrong side of the elastic band. They do retract them when scared - like being sat on your lap while you put the special tool with the rubber band on it near their testicles. If you get it really, really wrong with lambs you can catch a loop of the intestines in with the band (don't know how but that is one of the awful warnings) and they die.

Once you know how, have seen it done etc it is OK to do. But it isn't "just"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive