links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hawk post

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 3:40 pm    Post subject: hawk post Reply with quote

Saw something on telly the other day and wondered if it would work. A bloke was trying to protect saplings from nibble-age by putting up a t-shaped post in the hope that a hawk of some sort would sit on the top and hunt and thus protect the crops. Would it work and if so what sort of height are we talking about (could we do the same on the plot to deal with the pesky rabbits etc)

edited to add if this ought to be under grow your own rather than land management do move it, kind mod!

woodsprite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about a hawk post but the hawks round these parts are happy enough with plain old fence posts. Theres a buzzard sat on the post 20 foot from where I'm sitting now.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I agree but whether putting up a specific post say in the middle of the plot (would look impressive as well wouldn't it - like your own personal hawk ) would work more reliably?

woodsprite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhmmm some research is required me thinks.
I'll keep a look out to see if the taller corner post is used more often than one of the middle ones. Not exactly conclusive but it might have some bearing?

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain that Martin Crawford of the agroforestry research trust has mentioned this, but I don't know how effective it would be - or whether he uses it. His main enemy (I think) is squirrels - do hawks take squirrels? I've seen him write about rigorous pest control, which I'm guessing is poisoning them,

Peter.

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buzzards here get t shaped post put up by the farmers on the edge of fields.
Trouble is it´s usual on the side of the road so the buzzards buzz the cars as they go by!

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 08 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter wrote:
I'm pretty certain that Martin Crawford of the agroforestry research trust has mentioned this, but I don't know how effective it would be - or whether he uses it. His main enemy (I think) is squirrels - do hawks take squirrels? I've seen him write about rigorous pest control, which I'm guessing is poisoning them,

Peter.

He live traps and kills squirrels, he's used inflatable snakes in the past.

No rabbit protection that I could see apart from tree guards on young trees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive